Desmond Dekker (Because contrary to popular belief… No Doubt did not invent ska)

Sasha used to tell me this hilarious story of how people she knew believed that Sublime and No Doubt invented ska. If you ask anyone on the street who the greatest musician/group from Jamaica, 63% will tell you Bob Marley, and the other 37% will state in complete disbelief “there are other musicians from Jamaica besides Bob Marley?” Let me tell you those 3 people I surveyed are wrong, and the greatest is Desmond Dekker… the king of ska. Practically every reggae and ska act […]

Continue Reading

Less Than Jake Release New Song (And It’s Actually A Return To Form!)

Rejoice Less Than Jake fans! For they have returned to true form! Less Than Jake has always been one of my favorite bands, and you can imagine how heartbroken I was when they completely abandoned their ska roots since Borders and Boundaries. So you can imagine how stoked (yet still skeptical) I was when they announced they were leaving the major label world, and releasing a “true to form” album on their own record label entitled “GNV FLA”. They released their first song off of […]

Continue Reading

The Hope Conspiracy (Most Underrated Hardcore Band)

I’ll always have a soft spot for The Hope Conspiracy. Besides having one of the coolest band name ever (cue flood of hipsters telling me “But it’s not doubled! It should be ‘ Hope Conspiracy Hope Conspiracy’), they were the first modern hardcore band that I listened to. I was always a fan of old school hardcore such as Circle Jerks, Gorilla Biscuits and Minor Threat, but shunned the modern hardcore scene since it seemed like tough guy metal Hatebreed type shit or post-hardcore emo […]

Continue Reading

Ruder Than You – God’s Ghetto (Philly Ska Funk)

courtesy of JoyMoody Photography For those that don’t know, Ruder Than You play old school ska-funk fusion mixed with some reggae. This Friday, they will be releasing a new EP entitled “God’s Ghetto”. Admittingly, while I am a big fan of Ruder Than You, I have been (very) behind with their releases, only owning their debut “Big Step”, until now. As someone who is most familiar with “Big Step”, listening to “God’s Ghetto” was sort of shocking at first, since Ruder Than You incorporates so […]

Continue Reading

Band Watch: Computerization (Electronic Indie-Pop)

Electronic indie pop. Those three words invoke visions in my mind of little hipsters bobbing back and forth to Ladytron in the back of some stuffy, overpriced club. Needless to say, I’m usually not a fan. With that being said, the new album out by Computerization completely blew me away. Computerization is compiled (oh that’s right, dropping computer terms left and right) of just one man, Derek, who sings and makes all the beats to the songs. Sounding like the illegitimate love child between The […]

Continue Reading

Disfear – Live The Storm

In a pissed off mood? Need to just shut the world out for a few minutes? Do I have the music for you! Disfear’s “Live The Storm” is a blend of metal, crust, hardcore, and punk all rolled into one! Featuring the lead singer of legendary metal act “At The Gates”, Disfear hails from Sweden and sound like a mix between “Discharge” and “Strapping Young Lad”. I haven’t been able to stop listening to them. MP3: Disfear – Testament Disfear – Get it Off Buy: […]

Continue Reading

The Low Budgets – Leave Us A Loan

The name of The Low Budget’s latest album (ooook, so it came out a while ago, but I know a bunch of you missed it… shame on you!) “Leave Us A Loan” is pretty much the story of my life right now. In between the clever puns lies a laid back punk album that sounds like the three way love child of Atom and His Package, The Descendents., and of course…. The Dead Milkmen (Joe from Dead Milkmen is in The Low Budgets). For those […]

Continue Reading

The Bouncing Souls “Worst” album.

“The Bouncing Souls ‘Self Titled’ is the worst album that the Souls ever released” seems to be the general consensus among fans. Even Greg the lead singer claimed in an interview once that the album seems unfinished (has a lot to be desired). I wholeheartedly disagree with these accusations, probably because I have such a soft spot for the album (it was my first Souls record way back nearly 8 or 9 years ago as a awkward high school kid). Sure, everyone loves the hits […]

Continue Reading